Saturday, April 30, 2011

My Vocation

I continue to reflect on how good the Lord has been to me this year. I have received so many graces and blessings from discerning my vocation in the seminary, ultimately finding that I am called to commit my love to a wife and family. I do not possess a single regret for anything done in the last year; God has been very good to me. I am truly blessed.

Recently I fulfilled every ex-seminarian's dream, and began dating again. One definitely possesses a very different outlook on life as a whole but especially the virtue found in dating after spending any amount of time thinking that there is a life of celibacy waiting for me. I truly believe that the woman I am courting is my best friend and will continue leading me to the Lord. But, every good story has a problem leading to the plot. Mine is that 350 miles of road lay between me and my significant other.

Many people see a great distance and ultimately conclude that it is a dividing principle. The wonder of faith, however, tells me that it is actually a UNIFYING one, especially considering a Catholic perspective. I will clarify myself later, but let me first describe my Catholic Spirituality and relationship to the Lord.

Catholic spirituality is MORE than mere spirituality. Theologian James Penrice notes in his book, "When Spirituality Isn't Enough," that we have a physical need for God, and they are found in the seven sacraments the Christ Himself established before ascending into Heaven. The sacraments are Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Eucharist (known as the BLESSED sacrament), Matrimony, Holy Orders, Reconciliation, and Anointing of the Sick. A sacrament is defined in the simplest terms as "an outward sign of inward grace, ordained by Christ, by which grace is effected into our souls." A sign, a physical reality, of grace.. the presence of the living, loving God entering into our hearts. We physically NEED to embrace God on a regular basis, and though prayer is necessary, it is not enough. This will be ended and fulfilled when I die and go to heaven, entering into the complete physical presence of the Lamb of God.

This is the understanding of which my relationship is now being established. I can communicate with my girlfriend on a daily basis through phone, skype, text messages, but as I noted in my relationship with the Lord the simple communication is not enough. I need to ensure, prayerfully, that my relationship remains sacramental so that we both can be satisfied and happy. This sacramental element will not effect grace, but the love of each other. This is done by, most importantly, SEEING each other (the 'blessed sacrament' of the relationship, if you will) but when that is not possible, engaging in prayer and scripture studies together, among other things that God will make possible. The end of any dating relationship would obviously then, be marriage, coming into full unity with that other person.

Even in the beginning of a relationship, I seek the love and virtue displayed by the Holy Family.

Jesus. Mary. Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment